LONG time before the American Idol show was first broadcasted in June 2002 which consequently produced their seasonal ‘idol’, there was, however, existed the only idol in the music industry. This idol was an icon of the 80’s and one of the first MTV stars. He is Billy Idol. But, where is he now? After having a long break in the mid 90s, he returned to the public eye in 1998, when he played himself in “The Wedding Singer” movie (starred Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore), in which "White Wedding" was also the title track. In 2001, he released his Greatest Hits album which sold about 4 millions of copies worldwide. Since then, Idol continued to make music, performed in various stages of music festival, and enjoying his world tour with his band but has yet to recapture the levels of fame he enjoyed in the 80s. Idol’s son, Willem Broad, now has followed his father trace forming a punk rock band called “Fim”.
Billy Idol was born on November 30, 1955 in Middlesex, England. He is an English rock musician. He first achieved fame in the punk rock era as a member of the band Generation X. He then embarked on a successful solo career, aided by a series of stylish music videos, making him one of the first MTV stars. Idol continues to tour with guitarist Steve Stevens and has a worldwide fan base. More on Wikipedia.
Did you know?
- His birth name is William Michael Albert Broad.
- He took his stage name from a bad school-paper, on which his teacher wrote in the margins "Billy is Idle". In order not to be confused with actor Eric Idle, he simply changed his name to 'Billy Idol' in 1976, at the age of 21.
- Although never been married, he has two children - a son from his long term relationship with former Hot Gossip Dancer Perri Lister, Willem Broad, born in June 1988 and a daughter, Bonnie Blue, from another relationship, born 1989.
- He is a vegetarian- but still eats shellfish.
- His trademark image is white spiky hair, coupled with an Elvis-like sneer.
- Robin David Ludwig, aka Robin the Hammer, makes all of Billy Idol's jewellery, including rings, crosses, necklaces, astrological items, and assorted. Robin has been employed by Billy for over twenty years.
- In February 1990, he survived from a serious motorcycle accident. A steel rod was surgically inserted into his right leg.
- In 1994, he treated in a Los Angeles hospital after an apparent drug overdose.
- He was nominated for a Grammy for Best Male Rock Vocal Performance for the albums “Whiplash Smile,” “Rebel Yell,” and “Cradle of Love.”
- He was nominated several times in MTV Music Awards (won in 1990) and BRIT award.
- Ranked #55 on VH1's 100 Sexiest Artists.
- The video game “Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas” featured his famous song “White Wedding”. The song is available when the gamer listens to classic rock radio station K-DST for a while.
Write to him:
William Morris Agency NY
1325 Avenue of the Americas
New York, New York 10019